This is a pilot project for Wolfe Creek Farms. We grew it in 2015 for Chocosol Traders in Toronto. We hand selected and stored in 2015 for local adaptation. We plan on planting 3 acres in 2016.
This corn is open pollinated and non GMO. It is not a hybrid sourced from seeds originally grown by Ontario indigenous tribes. The purple colour comes from anthocyanins. Purple corn is a more concentrated source of anthocyanins than Blueberries.
Anthocyanins: (various soluble glycoside pigments producing red to blue colouring in flowers and plants)
- Potent antioxidant qualities
- Metabolize toxins and carcinogens
- Inhibit DNA damage
- Reduce capillary fragility
- Enhance glucose absorption
- Promote weight loss
- Induce programmed cancer cell death (Apostasis)
Compared to yellow corn, purple maize is:
- Higher in protein
- Lower in starch
- Lower glycemic index
- Low or free of gluten
- High in Lysine, Zinc and Iron
- A source of easy to assimilate Selenium
Makes delicious, nutritious high quality Tortillas (Best in Toronto??)
Purple Maize was a staple food source for indigenous tribes in North and South America. It is a tested by nature dietary foundation of North American Indigenous Civilizations.